The Cold Hard Facts
National Academies of Science defines a scientific theory as, “a well-submitted explanation of the natural world that can incorporate facts, laws, inferences and tested hypotheses.”
Dr. Richard Feynman, Cornell Physicist, in a lecture explained how theories that failed the test of data or experiment are falsified (“wrong”) and must be discarded. Unfortunately, there are too many in the scientific disciplines who tend to ignore this precept., and it is especially evident among those pushing misleading environmental issues. Here’s a Guest Essay on WUWT (Watts Up With That?) by Joseph D’Aleo, CCM, Weatherbell Analysts:
“Global Warming Theory Has Failed –
1. Warming not ‘global’. It is shown in satellite data to be northern hemisphere only.
2. It is now not warming. Warming (global mean and northern hemisphere) stopped in the 1990s.
3. Models suggest atmosphere should warm 20% faster than surface but surface warming was 33% faster during the time satellites and surface observations were used. This suggests GHG theory wrong, and surface temperature contaminated.
4. Temperatures longer term have been modified to enhance warming trend and minimize cyclical appearance. Station dropout, missing data, change of local siting, urbanization, and instrumentation contaminate the record, producing exaggerating warming. The GAO scolded NOAA for poor compliance with siting standards.
5. Those who create the temperature records have shown in analysis and e-mails to take steps to eliminate inconvenient temperature trends like the Medieval Warm Period, the 1940s warm blip and cooling since 1998. Steps have included removal of the urban heat island adjustment and as Wigley suggested in a climategate e-mail, introduce 0.15C of artificial cooling of global ocean temperatures near 1940.
6. Forecast models have failed with temperature trends below even the assumed zero emission control scenarios.
7. Climate models all have a wrong hot spot in the mid to high troposphere in the tropical regions. Weather balloons and satellite show no warming in this region in the last 30 years.
8. Ocean heat content was forecast to increase and was said to be the canary in the coal mine. It too has stalled according to NOAA PMEL. The warming was to be strongest in the tropics where the models were warming the atmosphere the most. No warming has been shown in the top 300 meters in the tropical Pacific back to the 1950s.
9. Alarmists had predicted permanent El Nino but the last decade has featured 7 La Nina and just 3 El Nino years. This is related to the PDO and was predicted by those who look at natural factors.
10. Alarmists had predicted much lower frequencies of the negative modes of the AO and NAO due to warming. The trend has been the opposite with a record negative AO/NAO in 2009/2010.
11. Alarmists had predicted an increase in hurricane frequency and strength globally but the global activity had diminished after 2005 to a 30+ year low. The U.S. has gone seven consecutive years without a landfalling major hurricane, the longest stretch since the 1860s.
12. Alarmists have predicted a significant increase in heat records but despite the heat of last two summers, the 1930s to 1950s still greatly dominated the heat records. Even in Texas at the center of the 2011 heat wave, the long term (since 1895) trends in both temperature and precipitation are flat. And when stations with over 80 years of temperature data were considered, the number of heat records last July were not extraordinary relative to past hot summers.
13. Extremes of rainfall and drought were predicted to increase but except during periods of long El Nino and La Nina, no trends are seen.
14. Alarmists indicated winter would become warmer and short. The last 15 years has seen a decline in winter temperatures in all regions. In some places winter has been the coldest in decades and even centuries.
15. Alarmists had indicated snow would become increasingly rare in middle latitudes especially in the big cities where warming would be greatest. All time snow records were set in virtually all the major cities, and northern hemisphere snow coverage in winter has increased with 4 of the top 5 years since 2007/08. Also among the east coast high impact snowstorms tracked by NOAA (NESIS), 11 of the 46 have occurred since 2009.
16. Alarmists had indicated a decline of Antarctic ice due to warming. The upwards trends since 1979 continues.
17. Alarmists had indicated Greenland and arctic ice melt would accelerate. The arctic ice tracks with the Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation and the IARC shows the ice cover was similarly reduced in the 1950s when the Atlantic was last in a similar warm mode. In Greenland, the warmth of the 1930s and 1940s still dominates the records and longer term temperatures have declined.
18. Sea level rise was to accelerate upward due to melting ice and warming. Sea levels actually slowed in the late 20th century and have declined or flattened since then. Manipulation of data (adjustment for land rises during the last glaciation) has been applied to hide this from the public.
19. Alarmists claimed that drought western snowpack would diminish and forest fires would increase in summer. Snowpack and water equivalent were at or near record levels in recent winters from Alaska to the Pacific Northwest and Northern Rockies. Glaciers are advancing. Fires have declined.
20. Alaska was said to be warming with retreating glaciers. But that warming is tied intimately to the PDO and the North Pacific pattern NP and happens instantly with the flips from cold to warm and warm to cold. Two of the coldest and snowiest winters on record occurred since the PDO/NP flipped cold again (2007/08 and 2011/12). January 2012 was the coldest on record in many towns and cities and snowfall was running 160 above normal in parts of the south. Anchorage Alaska set an all-time record for seasonal snow in 2011/12. In 2007/08, glaciers all advanced for the first time since the Little Ice Age. In 2011/12, the Bering Sea ice set a new high in the satellite era. Latest ever ice out date records were set in May 2013.
21. Mt. Kilimanjaro glacier was to disappear due to global warming. Temperatures show no warming in recent decades. The reduction in glacial ice was due to deforestation near the base and the state of the AMO. The glaciers have advanced again in recent years.
22. Polar bears were claimed to be threatened. Polar bear populations instead have increased to record levels and threaten the populace.
23. Australian drought was forecast to become permanent. Steps to protect against flood were defunded. Major flooding did major damage and rainfall has been abundant in recent years tied to the PDO and La Nina as predicted by honest scientists in Australia. All years with La Nina and cold PDO composited show this rainfall. Drought was associated with El Ninos and warm PDO from 1977 to 1998.
24. The office of the Inspector General report found that the EPA cut corners and short-circuited the required peer review process for its December 2009 endangerment finding, which is the foundation for EPA’s plan to regulate greenhouse gases. The Government Accountability Office (GAO) report confirmed the EPA’s Integrated Risk Information System (IRIS) program – which EPA acknowledges is the “scientific foundation for decisions” – is flawed, echoing previous concerns from the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) that the agency is basing its decisions on shoddy scientific work.
25. Of 18,531 citations in the 2007 IPCC Assessment Report, 5,587 or 30% were non-peer reviewed material, including activist tracts, press releases, and in one amazing case, “Version One” of a Draft. In important instances, IPCC lead authors chose non-peer reviewed material, or papers of low credibility, favoring their argument, in the face of peer-reviewed material to the contrary. Instances include alleged climate relevance to malaria, hurricanes, species extinction, and sea levels.
Given the failures of global warming science, just a few mentioned here, the most disreputable alarmists like Oreskes, Cook and Trenberth and the demagogue party have tried to convince the uninformed by using the consensus argument.” – Joseph D’Aleo
[“Historically, the claim of consensus has been the first refuge of scoundrels; it is a way to avoid debate by claiming that the matter is already settled. Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agree on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you’re being had. Let’s be clear: the work of science has nothing whatever to do with consensus. Consensus is the business of politics.” – Michael Crichton, January 17, 2003, at the California Institute of Technology.]